Monday, October 31, 2005

It's like Halloween and Valentine's Day...all wrapped up into one


Happy Halloween! Hope you've expressed your inner self through your costume today. I especially enjoyed the time I attended a Naval Officers' Wives Club party in my full punk regalia. I was surrounded by slutty pirate's wenches and french maids...and I think I scared the shit out of them. My (now ex) husband was mortified. I loved it.

But I must admit I'm exhausted and cranky today, so this may be short and sweet. I got about two hours of sleep last night (this morning?) after having a big fat row with Mr. Blogger last night.

Yes, that's right. The perfectly in love couple shouted it out.

But you know what? That's ok. And we'll be fine. I'd be more worried if we held it in.

My friend S, whom I've known for more than 11 years and all three husbands, once asked me if MB and I ever argued. Now, while it's nice to think that we give off the impression of never dreaming of such a thing as to disagree, we're HUMAN. Plus, as one of my male friends likes to remind me, I am the "Fiery Latina". So it's in my genes.

I did have a marriage once though, where we NEVER argued. Ok, ONE TIME we got into it and, I kid you not, it was over punctuation.

I was proofreading a proposal he had written and we could not agree on this issue. I was pissed that someone would dare disagree with me in regards to writing skills, and he was stubborn. It was so infrequent that we fought, that the next day he sent me a dozen roses at work. Every time someone walked by and asked me what the occasion was, I had to say, "A misplaced comma". I got a lot of stares for that.

But as lovely as it sounds, that marriage turned out to be more about two good friends than two impassioned spouses. Passion goes both ways. You may fight hard but you love harder. I finally figured that out with MB.

I was watching "Martha" the other day with Bette Midler as the guest. When they turned it over to the audience questions, one woman asked the Divine Miss M what the secret was to her 21 year marriage. She told them it was as simple as the fact that they were committed to it. Through the ups and downs, through the general trials and tribulations of life, THEY WERE COMMITTED TO MAKING THE MARRIAGE WORK.

I warned MB a long time ago that I may go off, and explode, but then it's done. I don't hold grudges and once I've said (ok, shouted) my peace, I'm over it. The silent, brooding routine was never going to work with me.

And our fights, while "fiery", are generally within all the fair fighting rules. There's never a doubt that at the end of the day, we love each other above all else.

But I would additionally kick anyone's ass who DARED to mess with him. He likes that about me. Well, he didn't marry me for my cooking and cleaning abilities...that's for sure.

Now I need to go put on my sexy witch costume that he bought for me, before he gets home. We have lots of making-up to look forward to.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please DON'T email it to me! Definitely waaaaay TMI ;-D

Love the fair fighting rules! Why didn't someone point them out to me and F-I-L years ago? (Especially number 1. F-I-L is the dirtiest fighter I know, as far as that one goes! >>>:-( )

11:39 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

He he he!!!

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that costume is lovely! I just love the sleeves! I was expecting something er.... different! Phew! ;-D

Have a great evening xxxx

1:24 PM  
Blogger kiwi said...

TMI!!!!!! God, TMI!!!!

4:12 PM  
Blogger kiwi said...

Love the costume!!!!And I so would have been like you at that party. It's fun to freak people out. I did that the weekend I tried to rush a sorority at school. Don't ask, especially you Em. I don't get to wear my costume. :(

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you've finally figured it out - the marriage thing. I never will nor want to. Patchita and I make a very happy couple.

I'm not only handing out candy, I'm giving away bottles of blowing bubbles, should anyone be knocking. But I've yet to see anyone under 50 in my neighborhood.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our house got egged last night :-(

No-one even knocked to say "trick or treat", just threw an egg.

Makes you feel kinda picked on, and wonder what you've done to upset someone :-/

I really don't like Hallowe'en!

Hope you folks in the US had a good time, anyway. xxxx

2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, I don't know about the other 'girls', but I clicked on the link Emily added in her post ('the ad') and saw the outfit - fantastic! (But I bet Brooke looked better in it! ;-D )

Got any pics, Brooke?

BTW I also checked out the other items in 'the ad' and was amazed! I just want to say ....

Do they really call those tights 'Spanx'?!?! :-0

And what the f**** is 'Grid Butt'?!?!?!

As I've said before, it's another world! ;-D

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey u sexy witch... that's hardly 2 much info, in MY book!... not even!.... bring it on, baby!

loved the ad (thanks, emily!)...but brookie, you are far more beautiful than that model chick! hope you and MB had a blast last nite.... was he a sexy slave to the sexy witch????

he he:P

XOXOX

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home