Sunday, October 16, 2005

To my mother who turned the game off because we were losing by so much


(It's Sunday. I'm going to talk about college football. Get used to it. And no, I don't know that man...but that's what you get when you plug in UCLA + pumpkins into Google.)

It was this close to being the best football Saturday ever. (That would be when SC loses and UCLA wins.)

But it was also THIS close to being the worst. (I'm sure you can figure that one out.)

USC ALMOST lost. Stupid Notre Dame. STUPID STUPID FREAKIN' NOTRE DAME.

Of course SC had to win in the last seven seconds. Of course that game is now being called One For the Ages.

USC always wins. Always. There's some kind of golden halo surrounding that team. AND IT MAKES ME SO MAD.

But then again, we were losing to Washington State by 21 points (TWICE) and still came back to win in overtime. My favorite quote from that article...

"I might have a heart attack one of these days, but I'll tell you what, if I have to win them all like this, I'll take it every time," Dorrell said after the Bruins won their third consecutive tight game. (Dorrell is the UCLA coach, for those not in the know.)

Jeez maneez, even when I don't actually go to the game (no, I was not going to fly to Pullman, Washington), they're STILL TRYING TO KILL ME.

Truly, oh gutty-little-Bruins...why why why do we always have to come from behind? I was screaming so loudly in my own home, that I'm sure the neighbors thought the men in the little white coats had arrived, and I was fighting my institutionalization.

Again, when you already have no voice from being sick...hmmmm...these types of football games...NOT HELPING.

I need to get ready to go to a pumpkin-carving party now. Maybe I'll make a USC voodoo pumpkin and relish the carving that much more. They'll still win. But I'll feel better.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FLY to Pullman? honee, you'd hafta charter your own private ride... most UW folks around here say..."all dirt roads lead to pullman"....thank god UCLA won... 'nuf said...

XOXO

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I say about football? If you're happy, I'm happy! Puzzled, but happy ;-)

But pumpkins! Ah, now I can comment!

I was amazed when I was over in the States a year ago - was it really a whole year? Oh yes, I was over for your 40th birthday party!

Anyway, as I was saying, I was amazed at how BIG Halloween is in the US! It's hardly marked at all here in the UK.

Sure, some kids go out and do some half-hearted 'Trick-or-treat'ing, but this is largely discouraged, as the idea of going from door to door asking for treats is considered in this country to be begging, and the Police here have just stated that in future any 'tricks' - such as the usual one of throwing eggs or flour at people's houses or cars - will be considered to constitute Criminal Damage and the 'perps' will be prosecuted!

I have to say I'm inclined to agree with them, having had my house and car 'egged' several years running without anyone even knocking to ask for a 'treat'! >>:-(

I suppose one consolation of the burglary is that at least this year I don't have a car to get 'egged' :-(

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A further explanation: I was watching TV with someone who doesn't like football and doesn't care about UCLA. (Yes, Virginia, such people really do exist.) And, it was HIS TV. M.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home