Thursday, December 29, 2005

By somewhat popular demand


Awww...look at all you sweetykins trying to make me feel better (and hoping against hope with me on the pregnancy thing). It's a truly beautiful thing and I am, as ever, humbled by all the kindness. Big hugs of gratitude to you all...

What I didn't have a chance to mention is that I ended up even WORSE later in the day yesterday when Dr. Phil's show was all about what makes a good wife. Some bimbo went on and on about how women simply can't have it all, and their duty to their husbands precluded them from thinking they could do the wife thing well enough, if they had the GALL to get a job as well.

Oooooo...I was MAD.

When Mr. Blogger got home last night, I was on the phone, so he read my blog and then came in the family room and gave me a BIG hug, saying "Oh my poor honey!". Yes, he hugged my non-showered, glasses-wearing, dirty-hair-in-bun self. Then he went out and got us In-N-Out Grilled Cheese sandwiches.

Take THAT lady.

But you'll be happy to know that today is a better day. I got up and showered and washed my hair and DRIED MY HAIR and put in my contacts and brushed my teeth and put on ACTUAL CLOTHES. How's THAT?! :D

I kind of had to since Mr. Grocery Delivery Man will be here this afternoon (what did I ever do before Vons.com?). The only thing I'm missing is makeup, but he'll just have to learn to refrain from screaming in fright.

This morning I also chatted with Mom (who immediately asked if I happened to be watching anything this time, so she could know if she was "interrupting"...way to work my guilt there Mamacita), Emily, Kona Girl and Ms. Fellow Bank Manager From the Company With No Soul. All that girl talk always helps to snap me out of my funk.

Commiserating in misery can also be a very cathartic thing. We ALL have our troubles this season, and as I told Em earlier, sometimes helping others can at least get you away from the wallowing in self-pity for a while.

Yes, I'm mighty good at the giving of advice...not so much on the receiving.

But, in the meantime, I thought I'd respond to a few things that some have asked for. (OK, my family members are the only ones wanting the picture, but may it at least make you laugh.)

Here is the pic that accompanies this very, very old posting where I wished KG a happy birthday and reminisced over our old high school group of little angels. No, really, we were freakin' AN...GELS.


My little face is peeking out in the middle, crouching down, to the left of the girl with the big blond curly hair. To keep everyone else's right to both privacy and avoidance of teasing over 80's styling, I won't say who else you may know. But aren't we too damn adorable?

Then, here's Mom's Sour Cream Tortilla Casserole recipe. Again, it's VERY sour-creamy, so if that's not your thing, I'd skip it. This is a direct cut and paste from the email she sent me. You must therefore love the very specific directions of the Mom...

Sour Cream Tortilla Casserole

1/2 C chopped onion; 2 T olive oil; One 1 lb. 12 oz. can crushed tomatoes; 1 pkg. Mexican rice seasoning mix (or chili sauce mix, or any such); 3 oz. can diced green chiles; 3 oz. can sliced black olives, drained (plus one more can for top garnish, if desired); 12 corn tortillas; 4-6 scallion tops, sliced; 3/4 lb. Monterey Jack cheese (or cheddar, or 1/2 each), shredded; 2 C sour cream; 1 t seasoned salt; ground pepper

Saute 1/2 C onion in 2 T oil until tender
Add tomatoes, seasoning mix, green chiles, sliced olives
Simmer 15-20 min.
Set aside

Cut tortillas into quarters, then divide into 3 equal groups [of 4 tortillas each]

Pour 1/2 C sauce in bottom of 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish
Arrange one layer of tortillas (1/4 of total) over sauce (they can overlap)
Top with 1/3 of remaining sauce, then 1/3 of scallions, then 1/3 of cheese
Repeat two more times to become, from bottom up:
1/2 C sauce
1/4 of tortillas
1/3 of (remaining) sauce
1/3 of scallions
1/3 of cheese
1/4 of tortillas
1/3 of sauce
1/3 of scallions
1/3 of cheese
1/4 of tortillas
1/3 of sauce
1/3 of scallions
1/3 of cheese

Combine sour cream and seasoned salt.
Drop by scattered spoonfuls then spread to edges of dish
Sprinkle lightly with pepper

Bake in 325 degree oven for 25 to 30 min.

Garnish with minced parsley, cilantro or sliced black olives or all three or whatever, after removing from oven
To serve, cut into squares

I served it with the sliced olives scattered on the top after I took it out of the oven and a side of sliced avocado. It's kind of like cheese enchiladas, but a lot easier and with a lot of sour cream. You could always add more cheese and cut down on the sour cream if you like. OH...and Mr. Blogger HATES scallions, so I eliminated those completely and it was just fine.

(Trust me, if I could make it, anyone can. )

I'm off to shock the crap out of my husband by performing my "wifely duties" through cooking and cleaning this place up. Frankly though, he doesn't really care.

He's much more about the other wifely duties.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

If I didn't have a damn job, we would live in a trailer!

High school picutres are always fun. I am glad you are having a better day.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

What's strange is that he never really did say anything.

He just kept referring to his notes and quoting what SHE said a good wife was.

But I think by his reiterating her insanity, he was making his own silent judgment, e.g. "So you think a woman CANNOT work and be a good wife?" etc.

Plus, the first story was all about this complete asshole husband and his poor defeated wife, and Dr. Phil therefore spent most of the show giving him hell.

And Dr. Phil's wife gave the guy crap as well.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Mr. Blogger is awesome. And you have beautiful hair Brooke. When do we get to see an updated photo? Please?

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that picture! :-D You really haven't changed so much, you know.

But oh, that recipe! Just as I thought I was learning to speak American (I even proudly posted on 'Dancer's blog that I thought I was becoming bi-lingual) I discover that I don't actually understand the language at all! :-(

I don't know what half the ingredients are, let alone whether I'd like them or not! What the f*** is a scallion? Why does Mr B. hate them? What did they do to him?

And who the hell is Monterey Jack????

As for the Dr Phil thing; I'm sure you've all heard of the wonderful new labour-saving device? (Invented by a man, of course.) Apparently all you need to do is to screw it on the bed and it does all the housework for you!

(It's called a 'Wife' >>:-/ )

3:17 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I forgot that this doesn't translate to England food items very well! :)

OK first, scallions are spring onions. MB had to learn that too. Now you know why he hates them.

Monterey Jack was impossible to find when I was in London and I missed it so! It's a white, mild cheese that's used in a lot of Mexican dishes.

Here's the seasoning mix packet I used.

Diced green chiles.

Corn tortillas (again, didn't see too many of these in London, but I did see flour...DO NOT substitute them though).

And I think seasoned salt may be the last thing you might not have.

Did that help? :D

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So lovely to see that photo again!

The recipe is Gaa's, and although she was an authentic Mexican, it is not. She got it from Lawry's Foods one of those times we went there for dinner. I've always served it as a side dish with a meat entre, not a choice for y'all.

Your husband is a diamond among jewels! (As if we didn't already know it.)

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog-

Wordgirl sent me.

7:33 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

>>If I didn't have a damn job, we would live in a trailer!<< *SNORT* Damn straight Ditsy! BTW, screw Dr. Phil and those wifey drones. If anyone deserves a "wife" (in that sense) it's wives in general.
Lissa: Holy shit. I think you pegged him to a tee. Brooke: You're simply fantastic. Mr. Blogger is a lucky man, and he knows it. ;)

9:56 AM  
Blogger #1 Dancer said...

Thanks for the recipe. I think I'll make it for the big shindig tomorrow night! I have several vegetarian guests that will appreciate it.
Lissa - That cracks me up!! Cold, dead eyes......

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home