Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Merry Un-Christmas


I hope everyone had a lovely holiday and enjoyed everything the season has to offer!

Our Christmas was frankly the strangest one we've ever had. But we loved every minute of it.

Since Mr. Blogger was off from Friday through Monday, that alone was reason to celebrate. And when it got to Christmas day, we just decided, at the last minute, that we were perfectly happy together. We didn't end up going to L.A. to see my aunt and uncle and cousins and their guests, and I did feel bad about that. But when we had awakened that morning, we were both just really tired and kind of worn-out, and not up to the long drive.

I of course called them and apologized, and I thought we must be nuts to have only a two-person Christmas.

But that works for us.

I cooked a sour cream tortilla casserole that was my first attempt at Mom's recipe, but turned out very, very yummy. I made Nuts and Bolts, which is kind of like homemade Chex Mix with slightly different ingredients, but holds a much more special place for me. My Gaa made it every Christmas (before there was such a thing as bagged Chex Mix) and it always reminded me of the holidays.

I served hot cinnamon rolls fresh out of the oven. I put every possible condiment, veggies, avocados and cheese on our favorite Morningstar Farms veggie burgers, with the biggest buns possible.

Basically, I fed my husband 'til he burst. And he kept asking for more.

We watched tons of movies and played Scrabble. We listened to the whole two hour replay of Ricky Gervais' Christmas Eve broadcast on BBC2...just lying in the daybed in the computer room and laughing at every word.

We had only Mom's and Kona Girl's presents to open, since we're saving everything toward our January London trip. But they were wonderful, thoughtful presents and plenty for us.

We probably won't have too many Christmases like this in our future. Hopefully they'll be filled with children and family that might actually fly out to see us for once (hint hint to the Mom and M-I-L).

But for now, we just enjoyed each other. That's enough of a present for me.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

I think your two person Christmas sounded lovely. Sometimes the simplest things are by far the best. It leaves more room/time to enjoy the moment.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds heavenly. That's exactly what we did for Thanksgiving this year and it turned out to be just what we needed. Good for you.

1:38 PM  
Blogger #1 Dancer said...

Hmmm... sounds much, much nicer, quieter, more peaceful, more enjoyable, more relaxing (must I go on??) than the one we had.
PLEASE share your sour cream tortilla casserole recipe. I love all things sour cream!!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

This sounds like a wonderful way to spend Christmas. Not many people have the sense to sit back and enjoy their spouse. The cousins will be there next year.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The E-Man and I decided early in the marriage not to travel at Christmas but spend it together, doing whatever made us happy. Even after we added A and E to the family, we never left home at Christmas. Party on! You're onto a good thing.

I recommend New Year's Day for family gatherings.....No gifts, just the pleasure of company.

12:03 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Very nice! Nothing wrong with enjoying your man, who obviously enjoys you too!

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You, loaded?! Not likely. I thought you mentioned that you NEVER drink and never have.

Your Christmas sounds perfect. Remember it well because I'll probably be there next year - for a week or two. Be careful what you wish for. If it's any enticement, I'll make the enchiladas for you.

Christmas was too weird here without family, even though I did have friends.

May I bring Patches too? I only had to put the tree back in order every day. She thought the tree skirt was a special treat for her to crawl over, under, (you choose the preposition) and drag around the house.

So what are you doing for New Years Eve?

2:00 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Emily was being ironic, Mom.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

Brooke - We did the same thing for Thanksgiving - as you will note in my space we do the planes, trains and automobilie things for Xmas for the past 8 years. For Thansgiving we stay in state although we have pretty much done it with friends in San Diego which have turned out to be day long drunks. But this year we just stayed in, plopped the turkey in the oven and relaxed. And it was as just fulfilling as anything. And this year I really almost wanted to do that for Xmas but now that we did do our Texas swing I'm glad we did - but I know the feeling.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home