Friday, December 02, 2005

We are sons of Westwood...and we hail the blue and gold!


Shit shit shit...I woke up late because I FEEL LIKE UTTER POO, and now I barely have any time to blog before I have to shower and pack for this weekend.

Where are we going, when I have not a nostril to breathe out of, you ask?

THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR.

Seriously, if I don't have time to do anything but this, I will say to you...my friends, family and assorted wacky internet buddies...

IF YOU DO NOT CHEER FOR UCLA, I MAY NEVER CONVERSE WITH YOU AGAIN.

It's THAT serious.

What makes it TRULY horrific this year however is the fact that:

A. It's at the Coliseum (meaning it's a home game for USC...we trade off every year)

B. USC is ranked #1 in THE WHOLE COUNTRY

C. They are currently undefeated and we have only one loss, yet UCLA is being tapped to lose BY THREE TOUCHDOWNS

WHAT WHAT WHAT??????

The UCLA-USC rivalry dates waaay back and has been known to divide Los Angeles in a way that would rival the Civil War. Families have split (and yes, my first husband and father were both SC grads...does this tell you anything?), alliances broken and friendships lost forever over this particular game.

EVERYONE knows how important it is. You may scoff, but trust me, this is more than bragging rights. This is a chance to show up those snotty, no good, obnoxious Trojans...well, that or to go home bawling my eyes out.

(My sorority sister The Original MB is married to an SC grad and yet emailed me the other day to say..."OK......3 days to THE GAME!!!!! Or......"The upset of the century" as I've been saying......Hope reigns supreme.")

My Mom's favorite quote is:

USC: Overbearing in victory, surly in defeat

They make fun of us, and hang cute little bears in effigy. They tell us that powder blue is a color for babies. Their tailgate parties consist of full silver and china place settings and candelabras, which they use while wearing buttons that say "My maid went to UCLA". They remind us how it costs, oh, 80 gazillion dollars more to attend SC than UCLA...as though that was the sign of a good education.

They're just generally SO MEAN THAT I CAN'T EVEN BEAR THE THOUGHT OF WALKING THROUGH THE COLISEUM TOMORROW.

I accept that it's not exactly the greatest chance in the world that we'll win. But if we do, can you IMAGINE what a party that will be???

So I will be there DAMMIT. As Kona Girl said this morning, upon hearing my lovely, germ-infected voice, they'd pretty much have to have me strapped to a hospital bed with an IV to keep me from going (and that is, in fact, the EXACT reason I wasn't able to go to the '82 game!).

I will scream until I have no voice. I will jump up and down on bad knees that never have fully healed. I will make deals with God when it comes down to the final touchdown to win.

And when I get home, I will either not speak to anyone, or blog like there's not enough words to describe the elation that is my true-blue Bruin heart.

(Now, for your official initiation into Bruin-dom, please click below, turn on the speakers and sing along even though you don't know where to come in...)

GO BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all sounds very exciting! I'll definitely give my 'Bruin Brooke' Cheerleader bear a good talking to this morning, so she knows what's expected of her ;-D

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home