Saturday, November 26, 2005

Thanksgiving-and-taking


It's not my fault.

I haven't been able to get on the damn computer because SOMEBODY got a new cell phone for his birthday and has decided to employ every bell and whistle on the Windows capabilities. I finally had to kick him off today, or else he would be editing wav files to make his custom ring tone...UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

But then, I gave it to him. Maybe it is my fault.

Thanksgiving was good...although our UnTurkey was looked at somewhat dubiously. My cousin was the only one brave enough to try it and I applaud her courage. The day was also a lesson in what exactly constitutes "vegetarian". Cooking in chicken broth, for example, does not. (They may ban us from attending next year.)

Honestly though, we had a great time and as far as I know, no one passed out or had any eyeball injuries. Although we did leave fairly early. Who knows what shenanigans may have transpired after.

Yesterday I had the somewhat challenging task of having to go to my ex's house to get all the crap I've been storing in his garage for oh...THREE YEARS. He was nice enough to keep a lot of my stuff when I moved to London and I honestly kept forgetting to go get it. But since we were both free on the day after Thanksgiving, that was to be the day...yippee!

Yeah, that was fun. But I made the grievous error of thinking I was only there to get some boxes and go. Nope.

Apparently this was also to be the time that he wanted to divide up more of "our things" that I guess we never got around to. You try going through tons of boxes, going through EVERY SINGLE INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT, and deciding who gets what. I swear to god, it was like splitting up all over again. And he SOOO enjoyed that the first time.

The BEST part? Dividing up pictures!

"This wedding pic has mostly your family, so YOU take it."

Can you imagine the awkwardness? It was hot and dusty and I must have sneezed twenty times in there. Add to that "the laying out of the stuffed animals and quibbling over who gets the stuffed panda" and you have the day of sheer hell.

He's a good and decent man, my ex...it's just a horrific task no matter how you look at it. Especially when you consider that I left him, and although we're perfectly cordial to each other, I don't think he ever really forgave me. I still feel guilty knowing I "ruined" someone's life, even though it really was the best thing to be done.

You know how I do so enjoy people hating me.

Oh! I forgot! I also got to see MY cats, whom I picked out and bonded with and loved as my children...but had to give up when I moved...AND THEY RAN AWAY FROM ME.

The hits just kept on coming.

After HOURS of this, I came home filthy and my wonderful husband suggested we get out, go to dinner and take a breather. Thank god. Nothing like some chips and guacamole to wash away the day's challenges.

But now I'm going to need to go through all that crap and find places in the house to put it in storage. Can't tell you how glad I'll be when it's all over.

In the meantime though, I think it can all sit for a while. Well, except for Cartman...he needs to be free.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the new phone was the perfect gift. Sooo glad he likes it!

At least you finally got the division of propety over with. All of Gaa's dishes okay? The table didn't look quite right at Thanksgiving without them.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YIKES! that must've been a little bit tough to sift thru all those memories....

but you are so much happier with MB... you know you did the right thing, so how AWESOME and COOL is that?

there will be more kitties, i promise (as long as my doggies don't get 'em first... he he... JK!)... XOXO and aloha

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home