Thursday, December 08, 2005

Food, glorious food


One of the truly sucky things about my being on disability is that money is oh-so-tight. We manage, and I won't begin to equate myself with those that are truly suffering such devastation as Katrina or the tsunami and such...it's just that this week it's tighter than tight.

Tighter than my old Dittos in 8th grade tight.

You know how right after the first of the month, you've paid the (somewhat exorbitant) rent, the bills and car payments and that leaves you enough for perhaps one movie at Blockbuster and some store brand popcorn? If you don't get "buttered"?

I know John feels my pain, at least. (Hmmm...ads on your blog, huh? How's that going?)

Part of that is my fault for going a little hog wild on Mr. Blogger's birthday. But the man works so hard for our only paycheck and did so enjoy the $150 dinner for two at Trattoria Acqua (and I don't even drink...or eat meat!). He has such lovely, albeit EXPENSIVE taste, and he deserved it.

But that, and his new cell phone that I cannot pry out of his hands...EVER...and buying all the Christmas decorations has left us with that horrible "we-don't-get-paid-for-another-week-so-whatever's-in-the-fridge-is-what-we're-having-for-dinner" dilemma.

Last night's dinner therefore left something to be desired.

Appetizer - Lucky Charms

Main course - Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches and Tater Tots

Dessert - An Orange

We are officially white trash.

I keep trying to tell myself that it could be worse, and at least all the bills are paid, we have a roof over our heads and toasty warm heat for the still-sick Mrs. Blogger. (I haven't even mentioned The Cold That Would Not Die...it gets pretty old after a while.)

So we deal.

I may need to go find something interesting to make with lasagna noodles and baked beans for tonight, though.

Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

oh thats not white trash! wait till you start making spaghetti sauce with ketchup and macaroni. then we'll worry.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The menu is certainly creative. Should I send a care package?

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about buying some fresh vegetables - they're much cheaper than ready-prepared food! - and making a BIG pot of home-made vegetable soup with pearl barley? It is very nourishing! Just dice the veg - onions, carrots, parsnips, leeks, potatoes, etc. etc. - and soften them in oil, then add seasoning, a couple of pints of water (with a vegetable stock cube, if you like) throw in a handful of barley and boil for a couple of hours (or about 20 minutes if you have a pressure cooker! I wouldn't be without my pressure cooker!) Eat it with a big junk of fresh bread - bake it yourself if you can - and it will do you much more good than peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

As someone who was a stay-at-home mom with 7 people to feed, I know all the tricks for eating on a budget! (Of course, we used to get a marrow bone from the butcher and put in with the soup, but I know that's not an option for you ;-) The butcher always used to ask if the bone was for the dog! I never owned up. Oh, the shame!)

2:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

White Trash Lasagne

Mash the beans. Season with onion powder. Maybe add ketchup or BBQ sauce, a bit of mustard. Layer with noodles and cheese (Velveeta would be white trash ultimate).

Bake and let me know if it is as gross as it sounds. Then have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

Or if you want to lose your white trash recipes, try Melanhead's elegant carrot souffle.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home