Thursday, January 26, 2006

A little bribery is a good thing


OK, confession.

I've been up the entire night. Yup, never went to bed. I'm in my somewhat manic and anxiety-ridden phase again, although it is a bit exacerbated by some lingering physical pain and cramping. So I promise it isn't my usual slide into spazzville...I'll be better soon. (Really Mom and M-I-L. Honest.)

But what is especially wonderful is that I'm on this trip again, just in time to start my new job on Monday!

Monster energy drink six-packs...here I come!

But after watching lots and lots of bad movies on Lifetime Television for Women, I finally got on the computer and have at least caught up on everyone's blogs. Well, until you write something else later today, that is. Damn.

I am really worried about how I'll keep up with blogging when I get on with the new job. I imagine I'll run home, ditch the nylons and heels, and dash to the PC every evening! But I think it may be closer to...run home, ditch all my clothes and put on sweats and socks (all the better to impress my husband when he gets home) and try to keep the eyeballs propped open before surrendering to bed at some ridiculously early hour.

But I'll figure in the blog time in there somewhere.

It's just that I haven't worked since August and it may take a while to acclimate. This seems especially crazy to me though, since prior to this big fat mental health break, I was the most obsessed workaholic at all my jobs since college. I always want to be the best. I always HAVE to be the best.

But not anymore. Right now, I'd settle for being the best at being ok. I purposely picked a position with slightly less responsibility than my old Bank V.P. self (notice I said slightly...I do like to be in charge...some habits are hard to break).

I'm hoping I can learn and grow and do well, all within a reasonable frame of sane work hours. No more six day weeks and 12 hour days for me. I have at least finally learned that it isn't worth it. And that my body apparently agrees.

So here's Brooke's new guide for starting a new job (but don't hold me to it):

1. Get a decent amount of sleep when possible, but don't get mad at self for HAVING to watch Sex and the City every night at 11:00PM...hey, I can get to work in FIVE minutes, so you better believe I'll push the wake-up time

2. Bring lunch and snacks to work, thereby eliminating the "I never take a break or go to lunch and aren't you proud of me for such dedication!" excuse which only leads to binge city when getting home...Ben & Jerry's is not a healthy dinner

3. Realize that I'm not going to know it all, or be perfect at everything immediately...ok, if ever

4. GO HOME...there is no need to be there when everyone else has gone for the day...all that crap will still be there in the morning

5. And on that note and perhaps most importantly for me...

LEAVE WORK AT WORK

Do not obsess over what you could have done better. Do not worry about what the customer thinks of you because you wouldn't give in to his complaining over federal policies. Do not stress that because your boss was quiet all day, that must mean YOU caused it. If you can't sleep at night because you feel like such a failure, know that you're the only one who feels that way. So cut it out!

So I will try.

In the meantime, I think bringing a dozen Kripsy Kremes on my first day can't hurt. Although with my luck, the whole staff will be on a diet and will resent me. That's ALL I need.

22 Comments:

Blogger Arabella said...

Brooke, I am amazed at how well you have all your shit together. I could learn a lot about work from listening to you.

And I think Krispy Kremes are a wonderful way to start off!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

There ya go Brooke! I think those are all reasonable goals. Arabella's right. You are one of the most "together" people I have ever met. I'm proud of you.

Donuts are a fantastic idea. Bribe 'em early. hehe

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe what I just read! :-0

Sheesh! If I said all that stuff to you, I'd feel really guilty for nagging! So I'm really pleased you said it ALL TO YOURSELF!

Actually, I was just beginning to wonder where the real Brooke was, and what had you done with her, right up until the final paragraph. Then I knew you were still the Brooke we know and love!

Listen, even if they are all on diets, I'm sure they'll appreciate the kind thought! (Just don't feel you have to eat the donuts all yourself if they are - which is what I would probably do! ;-D )

9:06 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

The people on diets will still sneak a donut when no one's looking. Trust me, I know.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are looking up. Prescription for mental health: reread this blog as needed. Love you!!!

9:57 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Girl, sounds like you have shit locked down (unlike me). You go.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Everyone likes donuts. Especially Krispy Kremes. Sugar bonds people together.

Your goals sound great. perhaps posting them in your cubicle/office/mini fridge/car visor will help keep you on track. Or maybe just stick them to the lid of the Krispy Kremes.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd totally have me if you were my new coworker and brought Krispy Kremes on your first day. Even better if you bring one of those boxes of coffee too. ;-)

10:55 AM  
Blogger kiwi said...

You should have added to your list to remember that at least you don't work for the Company With No Soul AKA The Evil Empire (as we now call it). Just remember that.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

You sound much more like your old determined self. You're gonna do great!

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Echo Mom and Annie: print out this list and tape it somewhere you will see all the time. But most importantly try to burn this little voice into your psyche somehow. Learn to go easier on yourself. I'm blessed with innate laziness, wish I could spread it around some! Be good to yourself!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Brooke Go!

Get the sleep. Drink lots of water. And take off the business suit the moment you walk through the door.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had me at donuts.

Hope the new job is awesome.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Krispy Kremes, I would love you, if I didn't already!

I would add, give yourself time to get to know your boss and co-workers. It will take time to feel like you really fit in.

Good going with the vow not too work too long and skipping breaks.

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Lissa's back! :-D

1:18 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

You would be my instant best friend if you brought me Krispy Kremes. I LOVE THEM! And, I am always on a diet.

I'm glad you're feeling a little better and will have the new job to focus on for at least a little while.

4:43 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

why do they have to make the word verification word like 20 letters long and why can't it be a real word instead of a NYC taxi cab drivers name?

4:44 AM  
Blogger V said...

Good luck! It seems like your list is a perfect start. Oh...and the KK's. Yum!

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, you are going to knock 'em dead. I know they will love you as much as we all do.

Have a great and relaxing weekend!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Good luck on your first day back. I think you should add an item saying that you shouldn't feel guilty if you can't blog. We know what's up and you will be forgiven if you're silent for a while.

I hope the Hot Light's on!

11:25 AM  
Blogger John said...

Just remember, Brooke. We WILL refer back to this post to remind you if the case arises.

But yay for you! Yay!

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck today! I'm sending much positive energy your way!

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home