Sunday, March 05, 2006

All Oscars...all the time


The popcorn is prepared, The Man is going out to get candy...I AM READY!

It's Academy Awards day people! And that means it's my Super Bowl, Olympics and March Madness all rolled into one...and that's saying A LOT for me, 'cause I LOVE LOVE LOVE all of the above!

I considered live-blogging the event, but frankly, my typing skills aren't good enough. Well, that and I don't have a laptop. We do have a TV signal in our computer which, right this minute for instance, is allowing me to watch E!'s all-freakin'-day coverage in an itty bitty screen in my monitor's upper right corner. (Did you know that there is makeup with ACTUAL CRUSHED DIAMONDS in it? Sounds kind of painful to me.)

But you gotta watch the Big Night on the Big Screen! Our 50" HDTV that MB HAD TO HAVE was made for this.

And I can guarantee you that Mom will be calling me every time there is:

A. An upset ("Can you BELIEVE he/she won?!)

B. A fabulous and/or fabulously hideous outfit ("That color is STUNNING on her!" or conversely the ever-popular "What was she/he thinking!?" OH! And I forgot...the Spanish phrase often used by my grandmother "No mas se peiño y se fue!"...it doesn't exactly translate, and frankly I can neither speak nor spell Spanish very well, but you generally use it when you see someone who looks like they just ran out of the house without so much as a comb through their hair...the ultimate put-down from my well-coiffed beautician Gaa)

C. A touching moment ("I just got all TEARY!")

D. A Susan Sarandon sighting (I don't think she'll be there this year, but because Suze and I have the same birthday (not year though), and well, she's just so cool...Mom always calls me if there's news to be shared. For example, when Ms. S was one of the flag-bearers in the Olympics (who knew?), Mom was BEYOND thrilled. We're like sisters, me and La Sarandon...I tell ya'.)

I kid, because I love you Mamacita...it's because of you that I'm so wrapped up in all this extravaganza! ;)

You see, when you grow up in L.A., you can't help but know someone who is an actor/producer/director/scene painter in the biz. And I think I honestly did date all of the above. Hollyweird is in your blood, whether you want it to be or not.

So since I'm a second generation L.A. chiquita, Mom and I have always had that connection. Did I ever tell you how John Stamos should have been my brother? It's a long story. Suffice to say that Mom got engaged a lot when she was younger.

(She is sooo going to kill me when she reads this blog.)

So we ALWAYS sat down to watch the Oscars together every year. We would jump up and down; we would cry; we would shout at our outrage...you name it.

When I was in London and had to watch the show at the ungodly hour of 1:00AM in the morning, I STILL called my mom to share reactions. And now that she's in Tucson, I know she'll have the cordless right by her side while she relaxes on the couch.

I won't go over too many of my picks here (go see Rock...he's got the right idea). But I will be rooting for Brokeback, which I do think was a wonderful, emotionally-wrenching film, but more importantly, I never thought that in my lifetime a love story between two men would ever be so successful.

See how excited I am when the run-on sentences JUST WON'T STOP???

13 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Oh shit. I was in such a hurry that I didn't spell-check. I had like, pre-shows and stuff to watch!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen said...

It's tradition that ninds us together. Hope you enjoyed your night!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know me too too well. Everything you wrote about me was on the money.

We also have the same taste in films. "Brokeback" should have won; it was truly moving. "Crash" was too predictable. But then you're comparing apples to oranges.

On to March Madness. Go Bruins!!!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see you back! I've missed you all week :-( And great to share your excitement and enthusiasm - and your mom's ;-D

Haven't seen Brokeback yet. I'm afraid I just can't help hearing Eric Cartman in the back of my mind saying, "It's all about gay cowboys eating pudding!" :-0

And do I take it the football season is soon to begin?

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brooke,

You must follow up. I want a reaction piece!

3:34 AM  
Blogger V said...

I almost always miss it! Can you imagine? But I watched this year, until I pulled the biggest Oscar loser moment ever and fell asleep about 7 minutes before Best Picture. Dork! I hope you had a lovely evening! :)

4:38 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Brooke!! I agree! Reactions, please.

I realized that this year I didn't have nearly the base of movie knowledge I needed to make good decisions but I'm happy about Reese!!

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I lived in LA I was MUCH more excited about the Oscars. Now I sort of hate it and didn't watch it. I do, however, throroughly enjoy snarky recaps!

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed it all. I am pretty lame because I never watch movies and so I probably wouldn't have known any of the actors or actresses anyway. I do enjoy seeing pictures of the red carpet attire, though. Hope you had fun watching!!

8:02 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I want John Stamos, but NOT as a brother. Oh, Uncle Jessie!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

You guys should have gotten walkie talkies for the occasion. I'm not a big fan of the Oscars. In fact, I was pretty pissed that it bumped Grey's Anatomy off the air. *Hides face in hands* I know. I should be ashamed of myself.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, what did you think?! You actually get to watch in real time, right? That's pretty cool.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Oscars - must be another Bruin-GPB-thing! I had some gal pals over to watch/nosh/imbibe & wish you had been here to join us. I thought Jon Stewart was fantastic and loved the "political ads". I hope the "Crash" win gets more people to see the movie b/c it was superb. Most of the stars looked fab, but Charlize's shoulder pillow had to go. Sir Clooney - yummy as always. Hope you enjoyed the show.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home