Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A quick Valentine's Day story



(Yes, I realize that may be misconstrued as Mr. Bulger (hmmm...maybe not so bad), or Mr. Bilger (which conjures dirty water to me for some reason...ick) , but you get the jist.)

Since I went back to work and have only recently started to feel like a real live human being after The Sickness, I have a tendency to come home, put on my jammies and collapse. Oh...and just to make life with me even more of a roller coaster, I went back to having panic attacks this weekend. I'm a whole lot of fun to be with. You sure wouldn't want to be married to me...BELIEVE me.

So when I asked MB what we were doing for the big red day, he kept saying not to worry and that he had made plans. Honestly, part of me wanted to just get take-out, and as the day went on it only got worse.

My feet hurt, my nylons had run, and my suit made me really hot and uncomfortable all damn day. I even tried texting him with "Don't forget I have to be home by 8:00 for the Olympics!" and again I was told not to worry.

My husband is a big puppy dog about these things and you just can't bear to disappoint him. He loves to go out. He loves to eat. And most of all he loves to dote on me. I'm not stupid...that's not something to be messed with. Let the man take you out, Brooke. Put on a happy face and THEN come home and collapse.

So as I walked in the door, he sighed heavily. He sounded upset.

You see, he got home late and I got home early.

He had it all planned.

Italian bread, fresh mozzarella and tomatoes for an appetizer.

Veggie loaf, fresh broccoli and mashed potatoes for dinner (my FAVORITE meal in the world).

Strawberries for dessert, champagne (for him) and Martinelli's sparkling apple cider (for me).

It was all on the counter but he hadn't had a chance to cook it yet.

I didn't have to go out and I could wear my jammies.

He then ran out, put gas in my car (I couldn't bear to go out again), and has now come back to start dinner. I'm not doing a DAMN THING.

So to my husband from your wife of many issues...

"I love you" isn't enough.

"I need you" doesn't convey it.

"I can't live without you" is obvious.

Plainly said, you give me peace. And you know how hard it is for me to find that.

I don't know how to repay you, but I will never stop trying.

16 Comments:

Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Ahh, that is just sweet. I won't go into how green this makes me...no, I won't go there.

Happy Valentine's Day to both of you. Enjoy!

8:31 PM  
Blogger #1 Dancer said...

Isn't Valentine's Day great??? I know, all you non-stuck people are going to sneer at me. Hubby is away on business and I am still loving V-Day. He has emailed me 6 times already tonight to tell me how much he loves me. Technology is a terrible thing to waste...
Happy Valentine's Day, Brooke! So happy you've found your forever man!

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the best husband in the world! Do I thank him or his mother? Both.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen said...

A good man like that deserves all the adoration you give him. I officially nominate him for husband-sainthood.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

I really don't understand the general sneering of VD that has occurred this week on this B-Blog. Generally everyone hates it.

And yes when I was in HS home room and they passed out the carnations it wasn't always the fun thing - senior year it was mildly okay.

And we don't go out for the night - that is for daters - but I send the roses - and she sends the roses. And then tonight we both brought home dinner to serve one another (I had a fish dinner with scallops and shrimp planned but she trumped it with lobster. And that happens from time to time.

Now part of this is to make sure one or the other doesn't fuck it up (because if that imbalance goes one way helter skelter starts happening and then we get blisters on our fingers)- but the other thing is to make sure we have fun with the day - no pressure to do anything but have fun - and mildly spoil ourself.

As the Beatles said, "the love you make...."

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me so proud of him! :*-)

And so glad he found you!

2:05 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

How incredibly sweet.

Does he have a twin, by chance? ;)

4:52 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

You have a Good Man there.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I'm glad you have such a good man, Brooke. You deserve it!

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the best Valentine's post I've read this year. I love to read about the give and take between couples, what makes the marriage tick. I have a hubby like yours and I consider myself very lucky -- I know you do too.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Your man COOKS? I mean like, actual meals? Nothing from a box? Nothing from a can? Ooooh you luckly girl.

Happy Vday Brooke!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sniff. I'm glad you two take such good care of one another.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Paige said...

Yup, he's a Keeper!

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that was sweet.

1:23 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

What a wonderful man AND he's gorgeous. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

4:14 AM  
Blogger Sarcomical said...

that is so nice. nice that he wants to do nice things for you, and nice that you want to acknowledge him for it.

just started reading and really like what you say. ;) will visit more. hope you feel better.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home