Monday, March 13, 2006

I suck


Honestly, there was no better title of this post.

I am feeling really down on my blogging lately. It's all I can do to get through the day and find the effort to eat, crash and watch American Idol. Oh, and spend some time with my husband. The poor guy never sees me conscious.

Weren't we supposed to be making babies or something?

I had no idea that going back to work would suck the ever-living life out of me. (Ever-living "LIFE"? What the hell kind of mixed metaphor is that? See...I'm slipping.)

You guys all manage to do this, and do it WELL, on a regular basis. So what's my problem?

It's not as though I don't have things to share. I do. I can't tell you how often something happens and I think about how "in the old days I would have blogged about this".

Such as the fact the UCLA is ranked #2 in our bracket for March Madness. GO BRUINS! I am so excited, I can't stand it. (M-I-L: March Madness is the basketball championship...football season doesn't begin 'til the Fall, er, Autumn.)

Or I could have told you I managed to talk a good guy friend of mine out of marrying a woman from another country, purely for her to have a visa. I talked to the guy for HOURS on Sunday, and well, she may come to hate me, but I'm not letting a good man go that route.

See? Now had I elaborated, that could have been very interesting. (Don't worry...he doesn't read this. But she might. Eek.)

It drives me crazy that I can't tell you of all the quirky nonsense that happens at my job on a consistent basis. I don't think a day goes by that someone doesn't make me laugh. Intended or not.

Like the customer who...damn...I'm not supposed to talk about work, am I? You'd never guess that bank management was so amusing.

I do have to tell you about the tiny little boy who took one of the cookies we have available for customers, loudly exclaiming "These cookies are DELICIOUS!" (with all the aplomb of a true gourmand). All seventeen employees in the entire branch collapsed in giggles. Customers too.

OK, it's also the funniest sight in the world to me when grown men take a lollipop from jars on the teller line. Maybe it's a Kojak thing.

But I've noticed that it bothers me that I don't find the time to write about such things.

I've noticed how everyone else has such rapier wit and opinions of value and interest...on a daily basis.

I've noticed how Teebs is so ON THE MONEY with everything she says, every single day, and I am so envious of her talent and warmth to all. She is the blogger I wish to be. Well, maybe even the woman I want to be.

As are the rest of you, in all honesty. You make me laugh, cry, think and enjoy myself immensely. You're smart, well-written, generous, opinionated and astonishingly open about what concerns you.

See, I do read you. All the time.

I just never end up with a chance to write.

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell me the Mr. X who remains single is "the one who returns things." If he needs any more convincing, let me at him. It would be SUCH A WASTE!!!

I know it isn't kosher to discuss work on blogs, but do relate more cuties like the miniature gourmand.

It's great to read anything from you!

And as always, Go Bruins!!!!!!!!!!!

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Brooke! :) It's tough, this work and blog thing...but the title and the pic on for this post are pretty funny! :D btw, you're doing this blog thing quite well :)

Good luck to your Bruins...I live in the heart of Indy, less than a mile from where the championship games will be played, and I've no clue about any of it - except game tix are impossible to get for less than $2500 or something that crazy, and all the hotels are $600/night minimum. They love the money this thing brings to Indy...I just know wherever I go someone is going to stop me every 2 minutes to ask directions to somewhere. Just one of the small thrills of downtown living. woohoo. ;-)

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's our Brooke! Beating herself up again for not being as 'good' as she wants to be! ;-D

Darlin', a few choice lines in your witty, pithy style are worth pages of dross from other bloggers, some of whom seem it's just soooo entertaining to tell the cyber-world all about the cute things their kids said, what they cooked for their husband's dinner last night, etc., etc., et boring cetera!

Your blog is always worth waiting for! But remember that a small amount of quality is better than blah in quantity. Pace yourself. Don't feel you have to write reams.

So don't feel guilty if you only get time to throw us a few 'crumbs'. Even a few 'crumbs' thrown to your hungrily eager consumers would be enough to keep us coming back for more!

And thanks for the English translations - always grateful! ;-D

5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Edit:

See above, and please add the words in italics to the sentence:

"some of whom seem to think it's just soooo entertaining to ... "

DOH!

5:38 AM  
Blogger #1 Dancer said...

We'll be back if you write every day or once a month. I'm sure things will settle down and you'll get into a routine that can include blogging. We'll be waiting! I'm glad that you can find joy in the little things in your job. That's what it's all about!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen said...

You'll eventually get to a place where you have more energy for everything. I certainly vote that Mr. Blogger gets your spare energy at home, rather than the blog.

Love the cookie story. And good for you on looking out for your friend. This is an excellent use of your time. We don't mind reading about it after the fact.

Go Bruins!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Girl, I blog FROM work. It's total insanity that will probably end in me getting dooced. That's my dirty little secret.

I'm glad you're enjoying your job! Don't forget to take some time out for yourself too.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you -- I've been in a horrible, horrible blogging low lately. Yeah, work does suck the life right out of a person. And like you, I'm so inspired by Teebs who never seems to have a bad post. TB, share your secret!

Regardless of what you might think, it's always good to hear from you and know that you're hanging in there.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw Brooke, thank you so much for the wonderful compliment. Coming from you, especially, it means a lot.

I agree with your m-i-l, you'll write when you have something to say. And when you do find the time to write, it is always worth taking the time to read because of the way you say it. Your personality really shines in your writing and that's the thing that makes you so accessible and keeps me coming back daily.
And go easy on yourself for not having the energy to write every day, you have had a ton going on already in 2006 and that's where your energy and focus has to go for now.
For me, this whole blogging thing has really been a lifeline, writing (which totally helps me synthesize my emotions and deal with whatever is happening in my life) and reading what other people have to say and making connections with people like you has been wonderful.
It's strange that I feel like I know you so much more personally than I really do, because I've shared so much of myself and because you have done the same. :o)

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS I blog from work a little bit too. But mostly I write at night, edit in the morning and post, then I check a few of the favorites from my blogroll throughout the day and the majority of the rest that I can get to at night if I can stay awake past dinner time :o)

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've felt these things too, and it was frustrating and all that. Do what you can, because I always enjoy it. Quality not quantity, like they're saying. It's OK.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Brooke....you're only human. Blog when you can, chill when you must!

As for the Bruins.... FINAL FOUR OR BUST, BABY!! We are on a roll.

2:41 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I'm echoing Wordgirl here. Quality, not quantity. And hey, I think everyone here realizes that sometimes life gets in the way. :)

And yeah, Teebs ROCKS.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

You know one thing you could do, if you really wanted to, is to look at this post as notes, and pick one, and then write about that.

You do have to be careful about what you say about work especially if coworkers read your blog.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Oh, Brooke, you're awesome and we adore you!

Cut yourself some slack, too! You've been through a lot lately, and you're probably still adjusting to your new job.

Have you thought about carrying around a little pocket notebook and jotting down interesting incidents and ideas as they happen? Then, later, you can revisit your notes and see whether anything catches your blogging fancy.

And be good to yourself!

And I agree about Teebs being great!

7:17 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

The solution to blogging about work is...Work alone! Then the only coworker you can criticize is yourself!

I'll let you know how well this theory works out in practice around mid-April, when I go back to work.

P.S. You and Teebs BOTH rock!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

MIL is a smart woman (and for some reason I always suck up to people with accents, but in this case I really mean it!): "Your blog is always worth waiting for! But remember that a small amount of quality is better than blah in quantity. Pace yourself. Don't feel you have to write reams."
And Arabella's right - keeping a little notebook of interesting things or comments you hear is a good way to start a post if you think you got nothin'. But also, just don't sweat it, sweetheart. We know your life has been in a little turmoil lately! Sheesh!

3:16 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Your fine. Relax. You are still getting used to a new routine and that is always hard.

And, I don't work fulltime. I work part time from home. My kids are all in school. I tell my husband that I work my ass off. Not true. Eating bon-bons and watching Oprah.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Di said...

GO BRUINS! Everyone seems to be in a blogging funk lately. I wonder if there is a virus going around (hee hee).

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit. Fine.

"Ditto."

10:55 AM  
Blogger The Queen Mama said...

With everything you're going through, I'm surprised you're still STANDING.

I feel this way too sometimes. But every day has its own set of priorities. You know what yours are. Trust your instincts.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

I'm sort of with you Brooke - I've just been through a harrowing three weeks and it saps every creative force out of my body when work sucks.

I basically have to lead large development teams to win projects and when you lose them you have little wish to do anything but hide for awhile - blogging is a distan 10th to that.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home