Tuesday, August 08, 2006

13 weeks, two days and another deep breath


First and foremost...AGAIN...thank you for every single kind word and virtual hug you've thrown our way. It never seems enough to just say thank you though, so if I'm repeating myself, just keep in mind that it DESERVES repeating. So there! ;)

WordGirl was even SOOO kind as to nominate me for a Perfect Post for what I thought was just my incessant rambling. She's so freakin' talented that I was almost embarrassed to be considered. Much love back to ya' WG...MUCH love!

So yesterday was a tremendously momentous day and I had PLANNED to mark the occasion with proper pomp and circumstance. Little did I know that such planning would include vomiting all over my local drugstore's floor.

I find that highly apropos.

You see, I am now officially in my SECOND TRIMESTER. I have trouble even believing that as I type. And if I end up typing most of this post in all caps, please understand the significance.

I HAVE NEVER EVER HAD A SECOND TRIMESTER BEFORE.

EVER.

THIS IS HUGE.

OK, I'll try to contain myself a tad and lose the caps.

And what I find so funny about being so sick yesterday is the fact that Beanie decided to mark the first day of this celebration with MAKING ME SICKER THAN I'VE BEEN IN WEEKS. (I guess I lied about losing the caps...sorry.)

First I didn't get to work until noon because I couldn't peel myself off the bathroom floor. And then when I decided to stop at SavOn after work, she/he/whatever decided to remind me who's running the show here. I don't think I've thrown up in public like that since I was a little kid. I mean there was NO TIME to find a bathroom. Yeah. I wanted to die.

The second trimester is supposed to be the time of waning nausea and increased energy? HA! (Beanie seemed to say...) I'LL SHOW YOU! MWAHAHAHAHA...

Oh and later my entire dinner came right back up in brilliant technocolor as well.

Gotta love that Beanie.

(My BFF Kona Girl is convinced it's a girl if for no other reason than Beanie's pretty damn demanding. But keep in mind that KG has also already vowed to come down from Seattle to attend every dance recital and spelling bee.)

But Beanie did give us some good news last week. My Nuchal Scan (plus blood draw) confirmed that my chance of Down's is 1 in 941. And the chances of Trisomy 18 and 13 combined is 1 in 1561.

At first, being the skeptic I am, I found it hard to understand the enthusiasm in the nurse's voice since it still seemed kinda "eh" to me. That was until she told me that my chances were originally 1 in 60 (!!!) just due to my age alone, so this is a pretty huge jump in the right direction. Additionally, this puts me somewhere in the range of a 26 year old, which I will definitely take.

What's funny is that until we heard these numbers, Mr. Blogger and I were pretty set on doing an amniocentesis because of all the risks associated with my...yes...age. (Can't get enough of hearing how freakin' old I am all the time.) We had already ruled out a CVS and the Triple Screen and were going to go straight for the amnio only.

But when I called the genetic counselor we had met with prior to the Nuchal Scan, she told me that one way to look at it is that they don't necessarily recommend amnio for 26 year olds.

So now, after A LOT of thought, we've decided to go with just a level II ultrasound, done around the 18th week. The risks involved with the amnio ended up being more than I was willing to take in the long run. And this type of ultrasound should hopefully show us even more. For now, I can only hope things continue on in a positive manner.

(As a final say on what has become such a controversial matter, I have found that a lot of people have given me both solicited and unsolicited advice on this matter and the best thing I can say is that it was our personal decision. Everyone does what is right for them and I would support anyone's feelings and thought processes involved in their choices. I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't offending anyone.)

Anywho... long and the short of it is that we're doing ok. And most importantly Beanie seems to be kicking and thrashing away (not that I can feel it yet but you know what I mean)! I think I've had another two scans since I last posted and I'm still amazed every time I see that.

Oh, and she/he/whatever seems to have a penchant for ska-dancing. That's our child.

33 Comments:

Blogger kiwi said...

I can't believ I'm the first one to post a comment. This hasn't happened since you first started blogging. Anyway, I'm so excited and happy for you. We're always thinking of you here at our humble abode...I think that's the right spelling. I can't wait to see you. Hopefully it will be soon. Hope your job is treating you well especially now that Beanie is here.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm so happy for you, MB and Beanie! I've been praying for you, and hoping to hear good news. And here it is!

:)

7:10 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

A new reader (here from Word Girl) Congratulations! Many good thoughts for you and your ska-dancing bean.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

YES!!! The second trimester!! The three month period that everyone seems to think is the Nirvana of pregnancy!! I hated it!! Okay, enough false enthusiasm - really, it sucked for me and made me tired and just as sick and hormonal. Sweetheart, I am so happy for you, and also I SO understand the frustration and disappointment. Time! Speed up! Please??!!

7:21 PM  
Blogger bob Pederson said...

never weighed in on your blog before.

can't tell you how happy I am that you are barfing for all the right reasons.

your big fan in New Canaan

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ska dancing? Let me fire up some early "No Doubt" in a tribute to Beanie! Glad everything's going so well.

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOWOOFUGGINGHOOHA! yay! 13 weeks. you're like 25% there! YAY!

sorry for the public puke, tho - that totally takes it down a notch.

And as for assvice, I have none. I was 19 when I was pregnant, and mi hija decided that an extra 3 weeks in the womb was her thang, so you and Mr. Blogger and Beanie can just do whatever tests you think necessary.

I'm so happy for you, I'm going to continue my fugging peri-menopausal period for another week (lol - I just got a new pack of pads from Always, and those fuggers actually have peel-off thingies that say "have a happy period." And they have something in French that Mr. Wonderful said tranlates to "have a happy week.").

So you puke. I'll bleed.

Yes, Brook, lil sis is a sick fuck.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Brooke!! Yahoo!! You're in my thoughts and prayers all the time! Sorry about vomit but it was a fantastic story and made my night better with the telling. :) I needed the laugh!!

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats again! I'm finally in my 2nd tri after 2 m/cs... and I have my u/s tomorrow.

And I'm nervous as hell.

Trying to stay positive. Too bad I can't drink.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to hear some portion of your body is functioning like a 26 year old's? OK, so it's functioning like a very hungover 26-year-old's. The price of good times. ; )

A nurse once told me I had the blood pressure of a 15-year-old. I said, "Thanks, but I'd rather have her little round ass and age appropriate blood pressure."

3:41 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Fantastic news all around, save the barfing. Hopefully kiddo will allow you to keep some food down in the near future.

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the second trimester!

Man, morning sickness is rough. Late in the game with Julia I almost passed out while I was at the bank. I was standing in line at the teller's booth when all of a sudden my stomach lurched into my throat and I started seeing stars. Totally embarrassing. I feel for you.

I'm so glad things are going well!

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so out of this world happy for you!

This is fantastic.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray, hooray hooray! Here's to a healthy second trimester. I just get so happy every time you post such great news Brooke.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess that explains why I never got a response to my last email yesterday. :)

Public puking, that's so... Brooke of you.

Yay for second trimesters!

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOHOOOO! We're so excited for you and Laurie! More yoga is headed your way =)

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoo hoo! yay!!!! beanie is doing great!!!! happiness and wonderful baby karma!!!! sorry for the throw up fest, honee, but we know who the princess kahuna is in this equation, now don't we?

it's okay, as soon as she (or "he", but i still think it's a pink punkin' inside of you) finally gets here, HHC and i will come down and throw you and MB the biggest party on the planet...

LOVE AND KISSES TO BOTH OF YOU... and much aloha, too....

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, so, so happy for you both! - sorry, for ALL THREE OF YOU! :-D

Second Trimester! YAY! I do hope the vomiting begins to slow up a bit now.

Just warning you, we're definitely planning on a trip to SD for next Feb.

When are you going to post pics of the latests scans? We want to actually see the famous dancing Bean! (I've heard of Mexican Jumping Beans - do you think s/he's one of them? ;-D )

Much, much, much, love to you ALL! xxx

1:34 PM  
Blogger g/\r*e said...

I'm so glad to hear that you're doing okay. Sounds like it's one prego adventure after another with you. Tell MB and Beanie I say hi! We need to get together soon, it's been too long. Take care and I will talk to you soon.

Gary :)

8:40 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Brooke, you are amazing, vomit or no vomit! I am SO happy! Congratulations on your second trimester!

And seltzer is rapidly becoming my best friend. Good stuff. I'm just sayin'.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Rock said...

First of all I don't understand a word you're saying - nutrisystems, amino acids, SUV, wha....? Is this Grey's Anatomy guest blog? Where's McDreamy?

And by the way, I'm going to save all of my cooing and gushing for when the kid is in Little League okay?

But what I wanted to note was your lovely black and white ska moniker as your lead-in and the fact that Beanie is probably a closet Roger Wakeling fan.

Are we now finding out that Brooke is a huge English Beat/ska fan - hmm, hubbie is British, Brooke has been there....I think so.

Grad school for me was all early - 80's when this stuff just raged and I loved it - me, Rock. I have to tell you I was at the Taste of San Pedro this Sunday at Point Fermin Park (you know where it is) and we were leaving tired of the old covers of Free Bird et al when this band came on - the Jazz Assassins - and just ska'ed out. It was cool - I could tell you more but I'll just...

Save It For Later.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the genetics. And if it holds true, you'll have the easiest delivery of anyone. There has to be something about which to be positive. When this is all over you'll be able to dine out on the stories (although not at meals).

Is that THE Bob Pederson? If so, I'm ending him the best of everything. Long time no hear about.

Love to the threesome.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen said...

We shall be playing The English Beat all day tomorrow in the Kingdom in honor of Beanie's second trimester!! I'm so thrilled for your family. Sorry about the drug store. I'm sure you aren't the first one to do that. Just wait, once you have the baby, you'll sneeze and pee in your pants in public. Good times.

8:09 PM  
Blogger The Queen Mama said...

Congratulations on such a hige milestone. I hope the nausea eases for you soon. And I hope that when you feel that first ska kick, it makes you smile like an idiot for the rest of the entire pregnancy.

God bless, honey.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is awesome news. I am so happy that everything is looking good (well, except for the puke on the drugstore floor...) ;-)

Get that beanie some good ska music to dance to, and keep on rocking with your bad self!

5:30 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I couldn't be more thrilled for all three of you!! Sounds like you are taking care of yourself too. Big hugs from me to you, Brooke!

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so exciting! I know I'm way behind in keeping up with you, but forgive me, if you will - it's been crazy around here.

My second trimester sucked...but perhaps you'll feel great in the third. This last month hasn't been too bad at all. And the last two weeks? Fantastic.

6:02 PM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

I knew my then fetus did in fact originate from my own fertilised egg put back during IVF when she did a very me-like behaviour. When I had a scan at 27 weeks and the ultrasound tech shook my abdomen to get the baby to move, she started punching back to ensure the tech knew she was objecting to being disturbed.

Congrats on the pregnancy after all the pain. I hope the vomiting in public places is limited to your one drugstore experience.

1:13 PM  
Blogger #1 Dancer said...

Just checking up on you to make sure that everything is going well and let you know that we're thinking about you...
Hope all is well!

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke! Can you please provide another update so we know you're okay? I think about you guys every day.

7:23 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Brooke, I've been away (not literally away, but away from BlogLand), so this is the first I'm hearing of your pregnancy.

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! This is the best news!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Brooke! Hope all is well...I was just telling Mr. Wonderful about you and thought I'd better leave a comment that I'm thinking about you and hoping you and Beanie and Mr. Blogger are all doing well!

take care, and post between pukings ;)

7:07 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Sorry to hear about all the vomiting. What can you eat?

The word vertification did not work for me in your most recent entry.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home